Sunday, August 06, 2006

Monday, June 12 – Day 23 – Radium, CO

If it isn’t one thing, it’s another. I put in another tough day today, and by the end my hammy tendon hurt so bad I was pretty much pedaling with one leg. It hurt a little bit yesterday, and a little bit on Ute Pass (the first big climb of the day) but on the last two climbs toward Radium it really came after me with a vengeance. Yesterday it cleared up by morning, so here’s hoping it does the same today.

I got a late start this morning – last night the heartburn got worse and I wasn’t sure I was even going to ride today, and so I didn’t even bother to set an alarm. But I did get going around 9, got over Ute Pass by 11, and had a hot lunch on the other side of the ridge by 12. The view back from Ute Pass was breathtaking – my last good look at the Fourteeners.

From there the route followed river valleys, with small risers that were more down than up, until I got to the Colorado. It should have been easy riding, but the wind kicked up enough to force me to pedal the long downhill grades.

I had second lunch in Kremmling (footlong Subway meatball sub – mmm) and then climbed over the top to Radium. The 15 miles or whatever it was between Kremmling and Radium were absolutely vicious. It started out with this climb straight up the side of the hill that was so steep the semis were barely crawling past me. Once I got on top the view down into the Colorado gorge was really something.

My campsite isn’t half bad either – right on this rushing stream with shade, and I’m in relatively early (6:30). But I’m awfully worried about that hammy – having one of these “what am I doing out here” moments. Tomorrow’s ride is 60 miles into Steamboat and (I think) either a full or half rest day. Here’s hoping the leg holds up.

Day 23 stats:

55 miles
4500 feet up
one burning tendon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


search engine optimization resources